Wednesday, February 24, 2010

hockeypopa braves todays snowstorm in Burlington














































Today we are getting hammered with a snowstorm.
About time!!!!

I go for walks all the time through Burlington and I love them.



I get so many memories back when I take these walks.

Today's was a dozzy.
I parked outside my old house on St. Louis St. and walked for about 3 miles around downtown before I got the brilliant idea to run up the College St. Hill.
It was a good run.

I really could not get any speed going up the hill and even if there was not any snow I I could not get the speed going anyway.

But it was a nice run.

I got to the top of the hill and jog some til I got down the Henry St. Hill.

Then I walked back to my car.

Probably 5 miles or so total.

But watching the snow pile up brought back so many memories from my childhood.

I remember getting up on mornings like this to do my paper route.

It was awesome to walk with those papers so early in the AM.

It was so peaceful.

I would get home and a few hours later I would grab a shovel and go out and start shoveling.

School would more than likely have been canceled today because back then we all walked and the sidewalks would have been a disaster.


I would start at our next door neighbors The Kimball's, then The Dusablon's, cross Roosevelt Park to the other side of St. Louis St. and do Nana's, my Uncle Clifford's house next door, my Aunt Yvonne next to him, and so and so and so on for hours.

When I finished I would do our driveway.

It was not long but when you got to the backyard it was wide and sometimes took hours just to do that.

When I was done, I would eat count the money I had and of course trudge to the nearest corner store(which back then were everywhere and some still are) and load up on hockey cards.

It was incredible how much I could make in one day.

Once that was done all of my friends and I would head over to Roosevelt Park with our shovels and clear off the rink.


We would lace up the skates and play hockey for the rest of the day and into the evening.

It did not matter if we school or not the next day.
Boy that was something.

At night I would spend hours looking at the cards I got and then turn on my little Philco radio and hopefully pick up the Bruins game on the radio.


Could not get the Habs.

I would fall asleep listening to the voice of Fred Cuisak.
Oh those days I wish my daughter and son could just have one day like that so they really could appreciate how much we could have without computers, cell phones or video games.

The pictures in my post today include my old house on St. Louis St., the driveway I shoveled 1000's of times, Roosevelt Park I spent many a days there in my youth, HO Wheeler School my grammer school, Dot's Market where I spent lots of my money on Hockey Cards, St. Joesph's school where I went to Middle School, St. Joesph's Church, and the playground at St. Joesph's and of course some the cards I collected back then.


















2 comments: