Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hockeypopa and Hockeymomma go to Toronto!


































































In the late summer of 1999 my love for collecting hockey stuff really changed because of one special night I really became a hockey nut!!!











My friend "Woody" called me at my store and told me that the incredible Guy Lafleur was in town for Molson Breweries and he was going to be at a few local bars.











I closed up shop and met "Woody" in downtown Burlington and sat with Guy for a while and had a few beers and got some autographs.











He had two other places to go that night so we decided to go as well.











The last place we went to was a bar in Essex Jct.











When we walked in we were told to sign up for a giveaway.











I figured it was a signed hockey stick or something like that.











After a few good hours the drawing began..you had to be present to win and the first four names drawn were not there anymore so out came name number 5........Oh yeah it was me.











After hugging Guy, "Woody" and anyone else I could I had to call Hockeymomma with the amazing news...it was not a signed stick or jersey buy it was an all expenses paid trip to Toronto to attend "The Great One's" Hall of Fame induction in November.











Over the next few months the excitement grew and so did the fear I hated to fly I had only flew once and it was for my son's Make-A-Wish trip to Disney World so the closer it got the more crazy I got.











But I had lots to do to pack, get pucks, pictures, books, magazines, cards and whatever else I could jam into my carry on.











Hockeymomma bought me a great book I was going to try to get signed called "Legends of Hockey".











While I was getting all this important stuff done Hockeymomma had to pack, get a place for the kids to stay and make sure the house was all set. That is why I love her so much because I will admit I am terrible at that stuff!











Our flight was to leave Burlington on November 20th so after we brought the kids to my mom's we started our adventure.











When we arrived in Toronto we had a cab waiting for us to take us to the incredible Westin Harbor Castle Hotel in downtown Toronto.











It was amazing when we got inside all the winners of the contest were there it was pretty cool. Hockeymomma and I went to our room and when we got in there were two signed Guy Lafleur Molson Hockey Jersey's and a six of Molson on ice****IMPORTANT When you win a trip through a Beer Company you get all the beer you can drink****we put on our jersey's and headed out for our first adventure...... a trip to the Air Canada Center to see the first ever Hockey Hall of Fame Game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the New York Rangers.











We sat in the Luxury Boxes and had more food and beer than I would have ever imagined.











Looking down from the boxes to watch the game was awesome.











After the game we went back to the hotel lobby. I wanted to make sure I got at least one autograph the first day. I did not have to wait long The great Jean Beliveau came into the lobby and he very nicely signed a puck and my book for me. I was hooked.











On Sunday it was going to be a busy day so I got up early to go down to the lobby while Hockeymomma got ready for the day ahead.











I took the elevator down and when my door opened so did the door across from me and out stepped "Mr. Hockey" himself Gordie Howe.











There were many people around him and his manager Dell said he could not sign for me now but he did give me a postcard signed by Gordie and his wife the lovely Colleen and I was able to get my picture with them and Hall of Fame inductee Scotty Morrison.











Dell told maybe later on the book.











Needless to say the day was starting off great!











We departed the hotel with the other winners by bus for a lunch at "Vinnies" we had smoked meat sandwiches and Molson. After that we boarded the bus for five hours at the Hockey Hall of Fame.











It was incredible. they gave us a Wayne Gretzky coin when we went in and I spent the whole time with Hockeymomma looking at all the displays taking pictures, shooting pucks and I even shut out Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier in the goalie net!!!











We met some cool friends from Maine and we all decided to go out to dinner together. We walked around and went to the Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood and had dinner at a great Italian Restaurant right across the street from Wayne Gretzky's Restaurant. The meal was incredible and Tony Esposito was there too!!!!











We walked back to the hotel and it was open season on Hockey Hall of Famer's and Hockey people they were all over the bar and lobby. I ran up to change and get my stuff and a camera and with the help of Hockeymomma we did some good hunting:











Tony Esposito, Darryl Sittler, Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet, Lanny McDonald, Giggs McDonald, Gerry Cheevers, Pierre Pilotte, Edgar Laprade, Milt Schmidt, Harry Howell, Bill Gadsby, Gary Bettman, Barry Melrose, Howie Meeker, Brad Park, Harry Sinden and Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOBBY HULL!!!!!!











I also had a great talk with Walter Gretzky and got him to sign on Wayne's page.






I could talk with him for days he is a wonderful man.











I did see Gordie again but again no luck with the book.











It was late and we headed to the room. It was hard to sleep with all the excitement going on.











The next morning we had the day on our own. Hockeymomma and I had a great breakfast at the spinning restaurant on the top of the hotel.











We sat next to Jean Beliveau and his wife it was so cool.











After Hockeymomma went shopping with her new friends and I went to "Frozen Pond" the coolest hockey memorabilia store I had ever seen. It was hard not to spend every dime I had but I did maintain control.











When we got back it was time to get ready for the big night. Lynn put on her new beautiful black dress and I dressed up (hard to believe) in an awesome Tux!!!











I couldn't just wear a shirt and tie.











We went down and met our friends from Maine and headed to our shuttle....well not a shuttle but a limo!!!!!!!!!











We were now Rock stars!!!











When we arrived there were spotlights and people everywhere people were looking in the Limo to see who we were it was kind of cool.











We went inside and it was beautiful.











The lights, the people, the memorabilia, the music, the food, the beer incredible.











We mingled and looked at all the NHL Trophies and we watched the great ceremony on close circuit TV.











The induction ceremony is very private but after the ceremony all the Hall of Famer's came out on stage in front of us and each of the new inductees signed in.











It was awesome Mario even showed up.











About midnight we headed back to the hotel for my last night of getting a few autographs. I went up to change and when I got back to the lobby Gordie was coming in with a ton of reporters around him. I saw Dell and he waved me over. He said "you still want Gordie to sign your book" I said "sure" "then stay with me" he said. The crowd started to move towards the elevators and security was pushing some people back I was in the back of them Dell had gotten back up to Gordie.











The doors opened and the Howe and Dell and some security got in then Dell yelled "Pat get in here".











I could not believe it I was riding the elevator with Gordie Howe.











Dell said "Gordie Pat would like you to sign his book" Gordie replied "No way he has been bugging everyone with that book" I was crushed. I looked at Gordie then he smiled and said sure. The elevator stopped and we all got out outside his room he took my book and signed it nicely "Kindest Regards" Gordie Howe".











I thanked him and Dell and gave Colleen a hug and rushed downstairs to show Hockeymomma and my new friends they could not believe it it was an amazing experiance.











I ended the autograph on that note I started with Jean Beliveau and ended with Gordie How what more could I ask for.











I slept like a baby that night.











The next morning we said our goodbyes and headed back to the airport.











I carried that book on with me and I looked at it all the way home. I held Hockeymomma's hand and I do not I even thought about being in a plane again.











When we got home I could not wait to share our memories with my family and friends.











I still have my induction program, ticket from the ceremony, the coin set we were given and even the Guy Lafleur jersey's











Little did I know that a few months from the day we got home my daughter would start her own hockey adventures....But that is for another day.























































e
t

1 comment:

  1. youre a good writer i will need a copy of the book when you are done

    ReplyDelete